Historical Monument presentation:
The Great Mosque Carol the Ist
Title: Carol the Ist Mosque
Constanţa, Str. Crângului 1
Date of construction: 1910-1912
The building was erected by King Carol the Ist, on the site of a smaller mosque built in the XVIII-th century by the sultan Mahmoud and its name was Mahmoudia. At the grand opening, two Persian rugs were sent by sultan Abdul Hamid, but they were lost during the Second World War. The mihrab, in the style of the moors, of the Mahmoudia mosque was kept. The mosque has a minaret connected to a spiraling staircase situated on the right side of the entrance, and it has a balcony connected to another spiraling staircase located at the left side of the entrance. There is an area designated for women, a choir, and a place for the muzim. On the left and right side of the mihrab there are two pedestals: on the right side there is the place of member (the great one) and on the left there is the chiursi. At the entrance we find a place for the slippers used for worshippers. The minaret has the shape of cone base. The base of the minaret is octagonal and then it takes a round shape where we find a balcony like platform supported by sixteen consoles on which 8 pillars stand. From this point, the minaret reaches up to another 7.10 meters. The tower has a spiraling staircase incorporated in a reinforced concrete tube with reinforced concrete steps. The frescoes are well preserved, with inscriptions and quotes from the Quran on the left and right side of the mihrab.
Above the entrance gate there are two marble inscriptions with Arabic letters:
- “In the name of Allah the merciful and gracious”
- “Allah allows the remission of all sins for He is allforgiving”
At the balcony: „Hazret Bilal Habesi” – the name of the muzim prophet
Above the minaret: “Every time Zecheria enters the mihrab, turn your face towards the mesgidul haram”.
Around the mihrab there are written the 99 attributes of divine power: alive, infinite, merciful, forgiving, protecting, all-powerful, all-knowing, generous, and gracious, father, etc.
On the left and right side of the mihrab the names: Allah, Ebu Bechir, Omer, Osman Ali, Muhamed, are written. The style of the building is Arabic-Byzantine with Romanian architectural features.