Historical Monument presentation:
The Golia Monastery
Iaşi, no. 51 Cuza Vodă st.
Name: The Golia Monastery Complex
Datation: XVI – XVIII ceturies
The Golia Monastery was built by the great logofăt (member in the princely council) Ioan Golâe in the second half of the 16th c. At the beginning of the 17th c., during the time of Prince Ieremia Movilă it was repaired the medieval complex and built the belfry tower and maybe the precinct wall.
The “Lord’s Ascension” Church was repaired by Vasile Lupu in 1650-1653 and finished by his son Ştefăniţă in 1660. In 1668 the Prince of Moldavia, Gheorghe Duca, Meletie, repaired the precinct wall and also built the round towers at the corners. Burned down on several occasions in 1678, 1733-1735 and 1786, affected by the earthquake in 1738, affected after the secularization (1863), the monastery was closed down between 1900-1947, becoming afterwards a parish church until 1992, when it regained its initial function. The present day complex contains the “Lord’s Ascension” Church, the abbot’s residence, the House of Waters, the Ion Creangă memorial house, the corner towers, the belfry tower, the fountain and the precinct wall.
The “Lord’s Ascension” Church combines the old Moldavian style with Russian (retrieval system inside the vaults), Late Italian Renaissance architecture (decoration of the facades) and the interior is of Byzantine manner. It houses in its narthex the graves of its founders, Ioan Golia and his wife Ana, as well as the marble sarcophagus of Sultana (1753), the wife of Constantin Racoviţă. The abbot’s residence is a building in the old Moldavian style, from the end of the XIX, modified later. It functioned as a sanatorium at the end of the 18th c., as barracks in 1870, as building of the State Archives between 1912-1969 and after 1992 it regained its initial function. The House of Waters was built in 1766 by masons brought from Istanbul. The water brought from the Ciric flowed into a basin in a room in the upper floor, and from there in the reservoir in front of the fountain, build in the baroque Constantinopolitan style. The fountain was added in the middle of the 18th c. and was initially built in the precinct wall, towards the exterior. The building that houses today the Creangă Museum was built in the first half of the 18th c. and is representative for the years 1866-1872, when the writer Ion Creangă lived at Golia. The belfry tower, one of the most important medieval constructions in Iaşi, was built in the first half of the XVII century. At the end of the XIX century, the belfry tower was modified by the construction of a new floor, which was knocked down when the monument was restored in 1900.
View the embedded image gallery online at:
View Larger Map