Historical Monument presentation:
The monumental complex "Calea Eroilor" ("The Heroes' Path") in Târgu Jiu
Code LMI GJ-III-a-A-09465
Location of the Calea Eroilor – between the Public Garden and the Column's Park in the public garden and the Column's park
Monumental complex "Calea Eroilor" ("The Heroes' Path")
Datate of creation 1937-1938
The monumental complex "Calea Eroilor" ("The Heroes' Path") in Târgu Jiu is a masterpiece of man's creative genius, owed to one of the foremost promoters of modern art. A central figure of the modern artistic movement, Constantin Brâncuşi is considered to be one of the greatest sculptors of the 20th century. His sculptures are remarkable through their elegance, the purity of their shape and the sensible use of materials, as the artist combined the simplicity of Romanian folk art with the refinement of the Parisian avantguarde. The vertical and horizontal dimensions, the weight and the density of his works, as well as the importance given to light and space are characteristics of Brâncuşi's masterpieces. His work profoundly influenced modern art, that is sculpture, painting and drawing.
The complex built in Romania by Constantin Brâncuşi who, at that moment, was recognized as a world-famous artist, is the latter's only monumental art work. The entire complex is a homage to the heroes fallen during World War I. Brâncuşi was asked in 1935 by the wife of Prime Minister Gheorghe Tătărescu, on behalf of the National Women's League of Gorj, to commemorate the memory of the heroes of Gorj fallen in the line of duty through the erection of a column made up of 16 modules. Later on, Brâncuşi added a monumental gate, then a table and a group of stools made of Bampotoc limestone. Even if they were conceived without stylistic analogies with the Column, the stone elements have a symbolic relationship with it and together they form an architecturally and urbanistically coherent complex, in which landscape has a major role. Three years passed between the moment the artist received the theme and the moment the complex was inaugurated, in which Brâncuşi designed the complex and even shaped certain parts of it himself, at the same time designing a eroto-thanatic temple in India, for the Maharajah of Indore. The Gate of the Kiss was inaugurated on November 7th, 1937, along with the Saints Apostles Peter and Paul Church, and the Column on October 27th, 1938, when the entire complex was inaugurated and blessed, immediately after the blessing of the commemorative monument at Mărăşeşti.
The complex's components are located along the "Calea Eroilor" street, and have a length of 1.5 km, with the approximate orientation East-West.
The Table of Silence is located in the Public Garden, near the Jiu river bank, it is made of stone (Bampotoc limestone) and is surrounded by 12 round stone stools (hourglass-shaped). It was finished in 1938.
The stools' alley, made up of two stone benches and 30 square (hourglass-shaped) stone stools, placed in groups of three on either side of an alley that connects the Table of Silence group and the Gate of the Kiss, located to the east, at the park's entrance. It was created between 1937-1938.
The Gate of the Kiss – is a large portal made of Bampotoc travertine. The theme of the decoration is that "of the kiss". It was created in 1937 (and was inaugurated on November 7th of the same year, along with the "Saints Apostles Peter and Paul" Church).
The Endless Columnis located in the park bearing the same name and is generally considered the complex's main component. It is made up of a suite of brass-gilded cast iron modules (16 modules of 180x90x45 cm each and two semi-modules; its total height is 29 m). It was created between 1937-1938.
The Brancusian complex offers an ideal setting for organizing cultural and community events. The monumental art complex created by Constantin Brâncuşi is accesible to the public, for which certain facilities were provided by creating a surrounding landscape that better evinces the artistic component (the Column's Park, the Public Garden, the Calea Eroilor street, the Art Museum).
Centrului Municipal de Cultură "Constantin Brâncuși"
View Larger Map